( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
Next Hybrid Virtual and LIVE Meeting Information:
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
Directions for members on how to make a payment to Rotary Club of Stockton:
Click on “$ Online Payments” in the blue bar at the top (or click this blue box)
Meeting on-line reservations
Click on “Meeting Lunch Reservations” in the blue bar at the top (or click this blue box)
Vocational Minute or 3
Stockton Golf & Country Club General Manager Rick Schultz
Rick provided a summary of the education, experience and training that led him to his current position. He was granted a PGA Tour playing card and visited many states and course before changing his career to be on the management side of the business. He appreciated his teachers and mentors that led to him making the success he and his team have made in the Central Valley.
- Mystery Bus Trip – October 23, 2021. The first Mystery Bus Trip was over twenty years ago organized by Lloyd De Bock. It was truly a Mystery for all, including Lloyd. For the “Wool Growers Restaurant” in Los Banos did not accept credit cards, so there was a scramble from all to find enough cash to cover the bill. Great way to start off the Mystery Bus Trip.The concept is to fill a bus with 42 adventurous people and only the bus driver and the organizers know where they are going. The trip is normally planned for October to enjoy the beautiful autumn weather. Along the way there are refreshments, Wine and snacks to enjoy with the adventure. The trip to the destination is planned to confuse and to enjoy the autumn scenery. Along the expedition there are numerous guess by participants to the final destination and there may be some fake out stops. In the past the destinations have been the Foothills, the Delta, East Bay, North to Sacramento, and South to Los Banos. Sometimes there is Wine Tasting, a tour of a Castle or activities such as Bocce Ball, or a Street Fair to enjoy. So, sign up and don’t miss The Rotary Mystery Bus Trip it fill up fast!!!
- Live Meetings – We are excited to be meeting live again at the Stockton Golf and Country Club. We also appreciate your support in coming and making reservations. Reservations by Friday 2 pm are guaranteed, after that subject to availability. We are also accepting walk-ins up to the current maximum capacity of this room (70). Reservations are a good way to prepay as well.
- Rotary Interact – Mentors needed. please see Dan Wright or myself. Dan is sending a reminder via DACdb.
- Joint Service Week – President Kevin announced “Joint Service Week” is 10/1 through 10/16 (contacts will be made with Kawanis, Lyons, an Optimists; and Dennis Cochran has a proposed project (downtown monument cleanup).
- Membership Minute – Liz Hull: O’Conner Woods Satellite. Liz said this initiative is still going well and O’ Conner Woods administration supports this.
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card. For now, make reservations using the website link.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member. For the proper procedure when proposing a new member, read this document.
Stockton Rotary Endowment and The Rotary Club of Stockton
Charity Allocations Advertisement
The Stockton Rotary Endowment Fund (SRE) and the Rotary Club of Stockton are soliciting requests for funds for the projects of charitable organizations operating in San Joaquin County. There are various funds within SRE that have specific requirements related to funding amount and approval. For applications and complete explanations as to the funding process, specific fund requirements, amounts available, etc., go to Rotary Club of Stockton’s website at stocktonrotary.org, or by mail to Peter Gormsen, Charity Allocations Committee Chairman, 1401 N. Hunter Street, Stockton, Ca 95202. Deadline for applications is October 15, 2021.
Speaker: Lisa Lawrenson, Interim Delta College Vocational Programs and Business Outreach.
Introduced by: Blain Bibb
Blain thanked Dr Lawrenson for presenting to our Club after only being on the job for four (4) days. Her experience certainly qualifies her for this position and the Club members were excited to her what she has learned in her current position as assis-tant and now interim Superintendent.
Dr. Lawrenson provided many personal experiences of her time at Delta College from the time she was working on her dissertation through her teaching and now in her administrative leadership role.
Her summary of Delta College’s broad list of educational curriculums was informative and made us proud of the institution most of us have used from time to time.
The Delta College plans for central campus improvements in Mountain House, Lodi, and Stockton will require a new bond act in 2022. A plan to promote this program and its benefits is in the works.
Based on the number and quality of questions asked by Rotarian, the Club was very engaged in Dr. Lawrenson presentation and hope that she becomes the permanent Superintendent.
Next Meeting: October 13, 2021
Jay Wilverding, San Joaquin County Administrator, “County Administrator’s role in County government”
Jay Wilverding, San Joaquin County’s former auditor-controller, was tapped by the Board of Supervisors last month to permanently step into the role of county administrator.
The eight-year county veteran sat at the dais for the first time Tuesday during the board’s regularly scheduled meeting. Wilverding officially started in his new position March 29.
The county searched for several months to find a replacement for former County Administrator Monica Nino, who tendered her resignation effective Jan. 1 for the same post in Contra Costa County. Retired County Administrator Manuel Lopez was brought back by the board in February to serve as an interim until the vacancy could be filled.
“Welcome on board,” Chair Tom Patti said after the board voted 3-2 at its March 23 meeting to approve Wilverding’s four-year contract.
Wilverding said he was humbled by the opportunity and recognized his appointment will impact the county for years to come.
“I don’t take that responsibility lightly,” Wilverding said. “I do want it to be a positive impact, and I promise everyone that I will do my best to make that happen.”
- 20 – Dennis Beasley, Artistic Director Stockton Civic Theatre, “Stockton Civic Theatre”
- 27 – Mayor Lincoln, “Mini State of City as it relates to business”
- 03 – Pat Filippone, President, Stockton Ports – “Stockton Ports Baseball”
- 10 – Sgt. John Snyder,Stockton PD, “Stockton PD Recruiting in 2021”
- 17 – Assemblymember Carlos Villapudua, “Legislative Update”
- 23 – Tuesday All Rotary Clubs meeting (no meeting on Wednesday)
- Dianne Stauffer (1st) $100 split;
- Hal Monroe (1st) $100 SRE;
- Liz Hull (6th) $100 each (dressing like Dale Evans, Catherine Hepburn, and May West; she felt marvelous on her birthday)!
October 2021 Birthdays…
|1||1st – 2nd||Hal Monroe – 1st
Kuy Ky – 1st
Bob Blower – 1st
|2||3rd – 9th||Ramon Fernandez – 3rd
Liz Hull – 6th
|3||10th – 16th||Dennis Cochran – 10th|
|4||17th – 23rd||Reid Johnson – 18th
Farah Khwaja – 19th
Beto Beas – 19th
Tom Patti – 21st
|5||24th – 30th||Pete Rosado – 24th
Zack Drivon – 24th
|*= Meeting Day – Wish Them a Happy Birthday!|
|Rotary Club of Stockton Member Files|
|(Logon to DACdb required to access)|
|Conflict of Interest Policy||2019 Updated Club Constitution|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to ADG Waqar Rizvi, note taker, Matthew Grizzle, Virtual and Audio Visual Guru as well as Club Secretary, Corie Stewart our Zoom meeting entry coordinator, Frank Whitney for the photos and Chief Checkers Matthew Grizzle and President Kevin Kauffman!
Attn: Matthew Grizzle, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Rotary International President
District 5220 Governor
Assistant Governor Area 2
Muhammad Waqar Ali Rizvi
Stockton Rotary Club President
Kevin M Kauffman
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520