( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
Next Virtual Meeting Information:
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
Directions for members on how to make a payment to Rotary Club of Stockton:
- Foundation Fund Raiser – Crab Feed: Thanks to all who purchased or sold tickets. Thanks to Matt Grizzle as master Coordinator and the Crab Feed team Melanie Vieux, Linda Guinn, Corie Stewart, Dudley Drake + all onsite helpers. Recap – Matthew: Total Tickets Sold 360. Our club sold 161 meals. Thanks to Terry Hull and PME for donating – Pick up Location: Foundation Fund Raiser: Waqar – Thanks to Matt for managing it and all the work done for the event. Thanks for members who came out to help. Hal Monroe was a good traffic cop at the event. The major donors were recognized at the event. Our club had two major donors that were recognized. The Ukulele Band played music from different parts of world. If you missed the event or would like to watch it again, it is still available on district 5220 website. ADG Waqar Rizvi also spoke to how much Susan Drake was such a big supporter and proponent of the Foundation.
- Foundation Auction – Linda Guinn announced the auction will be closing on March 27th 2021. More information and a wrap-up of this event to follow.
- Hybrid Live Meetings @ Stockton Golf & Country Club – President-Elect Kevin Kauffman: Coming soon – Go “live” Wednesday at noon later in April. Initially it would open for only a few members with the meeting broadcasting from the Country Club. About 30 people would be allowed to register afterwards for an in person meeting. More details to follow in emails. The members can chose Zoom option as well.
When (if) we (ever) resume regular meetings..
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member. For the proper procedure when proposing a new member, read this document.
Meeting Note takers needed for the New Year!
PLEASE Consider volunteering (Like Leena has done) for a once a month (or more) opportunity to keep the Wheel rolling along. Our Wheel editor will appreciate you stepping up to assist! What’s a better way to know what’s going on in your club? -editor. Contact Corie Stewart at email@example.com
Speaker: Jay Schwabe
Introduced by: Past-President Dudley Drake
Jay Schwabe – Train Museum – Telescope across America
Jay took us back in time when the railroad system was used to deliver the telescope from New York to California. He talked about the various hurdles and difficulties encountered in carrying such a huge item through such a long route. He also explained that they chose railroad over ship because they wanted it to be an event of cheer for the country especially after the period of great depression. He has a lot of great clippings of the news paper in his presentation that showed people waving and cheering for the passing by train carrying the telescope. He also had multiple pictures of events through the journey of the telescope from loading to reaching its destination in Pasadena. It was an entertaining presentation and is available on the Facebook page of Rotary Club of Stockton.
We know that Tom Patti is one of our current County Supervisors and that he once had a boxing past along with Mike Tyson followed by working in the entertainment business as an actor and writer, but what most of you may be unaware of is his past life working as a florist designing some of the most fragrant and aesthetically vibrant bouquets known to those lucky enough to have purchased them from the street corners of New York City and downtown Lockeford known worldwide for their exotic flowers. Tom’s artistic flair for flowers began when as a child he followed a bee as it flew amongst the many local flowers eventually landing on Tom’s hand and promptly stinging him. Undeterred, Tom realized that there is beauty in pain as he acquired knowledge about flowers that fills his day with joy.
(Virtual unless otherwise noted)
- 07 – Andrew Mattos, “Crime Stoppers”
- 14 – Dr. Alan Carpenter, “Ride Across America”
- 21 – Pam Heaney, “Stockton Diamond Grade Separation”
- 28 – Stuart Spencer – Executive Director of the Lodi Wine Commission
- 05 – Chuck Myers, “The Hornet Carrier”
- 12 – Past District Governor Robert Deering, Jr., “Human Trafficking”
- 19 – TBD
- 26 – TBD
- $100 – Chevy Lema donated $100 (Rotary Foundation) for their business being recognized in the news. Their dry cleaning business provides free service who is getting ready for a job interview and want to look their best.
Birthday Celebration Challenge!!!
July finals 14/15 or 93.3%
August Wrap up – 10/11 or 90.1%
September Birthday Celebrations: 15/15 for 100% participation!
October Finals 14 of 14 = 100%
Both September and October were 100 percent participation.
November birthday challenge was 87.5%.
December Challenge Wrap Up: 90% Participation
2020 Challenge Total: 76 of 81 for 93.8% – Thanks!
January Birthday Challenge: 10 of 10 for 100%!
Final Wrap for February – 10/10 participated = 100 %
YTD: Now 4 months @ 100% = September, October, January, February
March Birthday Challenge – 13 Members
Week 4: (3 birthdays this week)
- $100 – Maria Velasco’s birthday is on 3/23 and she donated $100 – 50/50
- $50 – Deanna Solina 3/24 ($50 SRE)
- $250 – Peter Ragsdale 3/27 ($250 BR 50/50)
March 2021 Birthdays…
|1||1st – 6th||Bill Brown – 1st
Brian Dillon – 1st
Kristen Dyke – 2nd
Colleen Stewart – 3rd*
Chris Papas – 4th
Jim Hanley – 6th
|2||7th – 13th||(none)|
|3||14th – 20th||Paul Jacobson – 16th
Pam Eibeck – 16th
|4||21st – 27th||Maria Velasco – 23rd
Deanna Solina – 24th*
Peter Ragsdale – 27th
|5||28th-31st||Melanie Vieux – 30th
Cathy Wooton – 30th
|*= Meeting Day – Wish Them a Happy Birthdayhday!|
|Rotary Club of Stockton Member Files|
|(Logon to DACdb required to access)|
|Conflict of Interest Policy||2019 Updated Club Constitution|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Leena Mittal, note taker extraordinaire, Matthew Grizzle, Virtual and Audio Visual Guru as well as Club and Attendance Secretary, Corie Stewart our Zoom meeting entry coordinator, and Chief Checkers Matthew Grizzle and President Gary Frush!
Attn: Matthew Grizzle, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Assistant Governor Area 2
Muhammad Waqar Ali Rizvi
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520