( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
Next Virtual Meeting Information:
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
|Last chance: Helped me push over $4,000:
Jerry Smith donated $100.
Luie Duarte donated $100
Additional $850 was donated to the Polio Plus at the 10-14 meeting:
- Bill Wagner is giving out the furniture from his house – Kris Blower announced that Bill Wagner has moved to Fresno because of health reasons. His house is being sold and will like to give the furniture out for free asap. Please contact Kris Blower
- Steve Luthy is still retiring as Club Treasurer after 5 years – President Gary announced that Steve Luthy has expressed he would like to retire from the being the treasurer of the Rotary Club of Stockton after five years of service. If any member is interested please contact President Gary or any board member. Interviews in 2 weeks!
Drive thru Fund Raiser – RESULTS – Secretary Matthew: Special thanks to the delivery team including Matt’s son Cameron, Past President Melanie Vieux, Corie Stewart, Dudley Drake, Geneva Bambedelle, Past President and ADG Waqar Rizvi & thanks to all who supported the event. View the photos from the event HERE. (Thank you ADG Waqar Rizvi for the great pics!)
- Returning to Live Meeting Format – President Elect Kevin Kauffman reported on the plans to do Live meetings at the Stockton Golf and Country Club in January 2021. Kevin said we would like to do a mock meeting reservation for Wednesday Nov 11th to see what numbers we get. Matt will be sending an email. Again this is a mock/fictitious meeting.
- All City Thanksgiving Luncheon – All City Rotary Thanksgiving. Assistant Governor Waqar Rizvi announced that due to COVID-19 this year the All City Thanksgiving Luncheon Meeting will be Virtual. Save the date of Tuesday, November 24th at noon. The guest speaker is the Immediate Past Rotary International Director Brad Howard. Link information to follow.
- Rotary Zone 26-27 Big West Conference – Nov 12-14 Free; Lots of stuff. For more information please go to the following website. https://zone2627.org/2020-rotary-institute
When we resume regular meetings..
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member. For the proper procedure when proposing a new member, read this document.
Meeting Note takers needed!
Thank you Leena Mittal for volunteering to take notes for the month of November and December! Your help is much appreciated!
PLEASE Consider volunteering (Like Leena) for a once a month (or more) opportunity to keep the Wheel roll along. Our Wheel editor will appreciate you stepping up to assist! What’s a better way to know what’s going on in your club? -editor. Contact Corie Stewart at email@example.com
Ken Steele started by saying that the Rotary Foundation supports International scholarships at the graduate school level. Two years ago our district participated in this program. There were multiple applicants and two applicants outshined. Both these candidates were awarded the scholarship. Grant Hall was one of the scholarship recipients.
Grant Hall – Rotary International Scholar
Grant said his local Rotary Clubs in the District 5220 were Oakhurt Sunrise and Oakhurst Lunch. He grew up in Oakhurst and did his under graduation at the US military Academy, graduated in 2019 and commissioned as 2nd Lt. in the US Army. After getting an opportunity of the Rotary International Scholarship, he has been living in Cambridge, UK. As a Rotary Scholar he is completing his Master’s degree in Biological Sciences with a focus in Virology. He has recently passed his viva and now has a Master’s degree. He will continue his research with US army as a Microbiologist in Military hospitals.
With the research background in virology, in Cambridge he had started his research on Noroviruses, he quickly switched gear due to COVID-19. The entire world got impacted. His research in March changed from Noroviruses to Corona Virus. He talked about the impact of Corona virus on UK, where there had been 741,216 confirmed cases with 43,726 deaths. The lockdown in UK was done on March 23-2020 and on March 29-2020, Grant was asked to join a research team researching Corona Virus. There are three tests used in Cambridge University to test for Corona Virus: qPCR, Rapid Diagnostic 50minutes test and then Hologic panther test. What all three tests have in common is they require and explore the viral genome of SARS-CoV-2 the virus that causes COVID-19. The Oxford Nanopore Flow Cell device reduced the size of the sequencing device to be portable and reduced time necessary to sequence a pathogen and made it accessible where it was no longer required to be in a big laboratory facility. In 2014 the West African Ebola Outbreak made use of this device of portable genome sequencing to become the first seen. This way this process can be deployed anywhere there is an outbreak. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the COVID-19 Genomic UK Consortium was founded to address the pandemic. Grant’s work is getting to an end in UK. He will be going to El Paso, Texas working in a Military Medical Center. The Department of Defense has established collaborative virus genetic sequencing capability for COVID-19, where Grant will be taking his expertise and applying his research. He thanked COG UK COVID-19 Genomics -UK consortium team, Rotary International and Rotary District 5220 and US Army for allowing him a year off to peruse his degree.
Thomas Pogue is Associate Director of the Center for Business and Policy Research (CBPR) at the University of the Pacific. His expertise and research interest revolve around regional economic and workforce development. Now in his eleventh year at the CBPR, he has led its efforts to advance understanding and transformation of skills development across the North San Joaquin Valley. Thomas has also directed CBPR’s work assessing changing socio-economic relationships across the Northern California Megaregion. In over 25 years as a professional economist Dr. Pogue has amassed extensive experience with research institutes in the United States, Europe, and Africa.”
(Virtual unless otherwise noted)
- 11 – Bob Blower, “Veterans Day Presentation”
- 18 – Ngozi Elobuike, “Life in Full Color – Rotary International Scholar”
- 24 – All City Luncheon (Tuesday @ noon)
- 02 – Kevin Kauffman, “The Water Group”
- 09 – Tom Patti, “Hero’s Presentation”
- 16 – Kids Christmas Lunch
- 23 – DARK
- 30 – DARK
Birthday Celebration Challenge!!!
July finals 14/15 or 93.3%
August Wrap up – 10/11 or 90.1%
September Birthday Celebrations: 100% participation!
October Finals 14 of 14 = 100%
Both September and October were 100 percent participation.
November Challenge team get ready. There are 18 members who have birthdays in November.
|1||1st – 7th||Dudley Drake 1st
Kory Ley – 3rd
Khaksar Ahmad – 4th*
|2||8th – 14th||Waqar Rizvi – 10th
Fred Gassner – 10th
Karyn Johnson – 13th
Fred Weibel – 14th
Juan Oregel – 14th
Basel Karabala – 14th
|3||15th – 21st||Christine Morrissey – 15th
Graham Tweedy – 16th
|4||22nd – 28th||Tom Perry – 22nd
Jim Woodward – 22nd
Jan Ambriz – 23rd
Gary Putnam – 27th
Tony Despotes – 28th
|5||29th – Dec 5th||Ken Steele – 29th
Walt Wager – 30th
|*= Meeting Day – Wish Them a Happy Birthday!|
|Rotary Club of Stockton Member Files|
|(Logon to DACdb required to access)|
|Conflict of Interest Policy||2019 Updated Club Constitution|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Leena Mittal, note taker extraordinaire, Matthew Grizzle, Virtual and Audio Visual Guru as well as Club and Attendance Secretary, and Chief Checkers Matthew Grizzle and President Gary Frush!
Attn: Matthew Grizzle, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Assistant Governor Area 2
Muhammad Waqar Ali Rizvi
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520