( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
Past-President Jerry Smith has confirmed his move to Arizona and will be leaving the end of this year. The club still needs to fill the position of Secretary on the board as quickly as possible! It is a paid position and Jerry has promised to be helpful in the transition before he leaves. Contact President-Elect Gary or President Melanie if you are interested, or if you have a suggestion of someone who might be a good candidate.
- Call to Order and Welcome! President Melanie welcomed members and guests to the Rotary Club of Stockton’s meeting and asked all to greet each other.
- Pledge of Allegiance & Four Way Test – Dan Wright.
- Song – By popular request, Past-President Michael Blower led “God Bless America”.
- Thought for the Day – Dwayne Garcia thought was about the fact that since giving is what we do and service is our motto, it can become such a norm for Rotarians. But, we should not lose sight of the fact that what we do is awesome!
- Head Table – Our speaker Assembly Member Susan Eggman; Introducing the speaker, Liz Hull; Pledge & Four Way Test, Dan Wright; Thought For the Day, Dwayne Garcia and President Melanie.
- Special Thanks Today to – Sergeant-At-Arms, Ken Steele; Our photographer, Frank Whitney; Lynndee Riley & Eric Duran for all their work on the Wheel; and Mathew Grizzle for his work on Audio Visual.
- COG Club – Coordinator: Farah Khwaja; Greeter: Rod Place; Mic 1: Khaksar Ahmad; Mic 2: Matt Grizzle; Credit Cards: Dwayne Garcia; Attendance: Basil Karabala and John Atwood at the cashbox.
- Proposed New Member – Geneva Bamidele is being sponsored by Jan Ambriz. Her classification will be Real Estate Sales. Geneva has been a guest at the Club on several occasions.
- Club Service & District Calendar for 2019-2020 – Click HERE for the latest list! Don’t miss out on some great activities.
- Raffle – Buster Posey, Klay Thompson, Matt Chapman will be the winning cards for President Melanie’s sports card collection raffle drawing. #312954 Beto Beas pulled the Reyes Moronta card and a consolation prize from the treasure chest.
Club Secretary Opening – Cathy Wooton reiterated the need to fill the club secretary position and asked members to recommend someone they know that would be willing to take over when Jerry leaves.
- Dictionary Distribution – Still need volunteers to deliver again this year. Contact Steve the stay-cation to help get those dictionaries out of his garage. email@example.com
Mystery Bus Trip Report – Past-President Michael Blower reported the bus left on time and made its first stop at El Toro Mexican Restaurant before heading to its real destination which was the Murphy Hotel. The group enjoyed the Murphy Street Faire and then a scrumptious meal at the Hotel. Thank you to Luis Duarte and Past-President T.J. Hull for their outstanding work on the committee this year.
- Foundation Dinner – President Melanie announced they already have 1 table of 10 filled, but still taking sign-ups and would love to fill another! November 16th @ 5:30 – 9:00pm, 1150 9th St Modesto CA 95354 ( map )
Membership Minute – Membership Co-Chair, Marcela Gracewski reminded us about the importance of seeking members of our community who are interested in being mentors to others and participating in the important work our club does locally and through out the world.
- World Polio Day – President Malanie announced World Polio Day – October 24th: Happy Hour at Waterfront Plaza: Anyone donating at least $10 will get their pinky painted with purple fingernail polish. A group picture will be taken.
- 2020 District Conference – Don’t forget: The conference will be on April 22-24, 2020 at the Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite ( website ). The rooms will be $192 per day including taxes.
- Rotary International Convention – The convention will be from June 6th to June 10th of 2020 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Past-President Bob Blower reminds us all that the Rotary Convention is only 4 days. There are so many things to do on the islands, plan to stay for a couple of weeks!
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
Lodi High School Golf Club Fundraiser
Past-President Kuy Ky went on a family trip to Las Vegas where he left some money at the Venetian and saw the Grand Canyon. It was Kuy’s daughter, Megan’s birthday and she held a fundraiser for Lodi High School Girl’s Golf Club. Kuy donated an equal amount to the Rotary Foundation.
Total donated: $1,580.00!
|Don Barry – $50
Steve Bestalorides – $100
Rigo Cervantes – $50
Dennis Cochran – $25
Luis Duarte – $50
Ramon Fernandez – $100
Colleen Foster – $30
Kathleen Hart – $50
|Liz Hull – $25
Karen Johnson – $100
Kevin Kauffman – $100
Keo Keonorasak – $50
Chris Lema – $100
Steve Luthy – $100
Rod Place – $100
Waqar Rizvi – $50
|Colleen Stewart – $50
Jerry Smith – $250
Diane Stauffer – $25
Ken Steele – $50
Fred Weibel – $100
Dan Wright – $25
Speaker: California Assembly member Susan Eggman
Introduced By: Liz Hull
Liz Hull introduced California State Assembly Member Susan Talamantes Eggman. Eggman is a Democrat representing the 13th Assembly which includes Stockton, Tracy, Thornton and Mountain House since November 2012.
This year, Eggman described the learning process – on both sides – of working with the new governor and reports that the governor has been very attentive to the needs of the people at risk for forest fires. She supports breaking up the PG&E monopoly with recognition that allowing entities to cherry pick the regions that are lower risk would not be beneficial.
She supports releasing some Proposition 63 mental health money to address the homelessness crises. She is also working to push building of more affordable housing through-out the state, rent stabilization and relaxing rules about putting micro-dwellings in the backyards of private homes.
Eggman continues to work on adding a state university campus in this district and connections to mass transit to the Bay Area and Sacramento.
Next year, she plans to work again on regulation to prevent abuse by for-profit institutions that target the most vulnerable populations, provide them with marginally beneficial degrees and outrageous student loan debt.
Next Meeting: October 16, 2019
Kari McNickle, “Planning for ‘Active Transportation’ across San Joaquin County”
Kari McNickle is a transportation planner, specializing in active transportation, commuter issues, and community engagement. With an educational and professional background in communication and marketing, several years of experience as a barista and bartender, and six years in local government, she brings a unique perspective to what can typically be a highly technical field.
Kari currently works for the transportation planning and engineering firm Fehr & Peers, and focuses on their bicycling, walking, and sustainable transportation projects in the Central Valley. Prior to that, she led business development efforts for the San Joaquin Council of Governments, as part of the agency’s Transportation Demand Management program, Dibs.
She is proud to call Stockton home, and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Downtown Stockton Alliance, and as the Board President for the San Joaquin Bike Coalition, a local non-profit advocacy group focused on improving conditions for bicycling throughout the City.
- 23 – Allison Dumas, “1st Generation to Go To College. CIP, now 50 years!”
- 30 – Ann Chargin, “Arbitration”
- 06 – Ann Johnston, former Peace Corps Volunteer, “Reflections on the Conflict with Iran”
- 13 – Dustin Thoms, “Stockton Kings”
- 20 – Dan Cort, “New Projects Downtown”
- 27 – DARK (All Stockton Clubs Thanksgiving Meeting held on 11-26 at the First Baptist Church map )
|Hal Monroe – Oct 1st
Kuy Ky – Oct 1st
Bob Blower – Oct 1st
Diane Stauffer – Oct 1st
Ramon Fernandez – Oct 3rd
|Liz Hull – Oct 6th
Dave Tygett – Oct 10th
Dennis Cochran – Oct 10th
Reid Johnson – Oct 18th
Farah Khwaja – Oct 19th
|Beto Beas – Oct 19th
Tom Patti – Oct 21st
Pete Rosado – Oct 24th
Zack Drivon – Oct 24th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Frank Whitney for photos this week; Mathew Grizzle, Audio Visual; and to Jerry Smith, Club Secretary and Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520