( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
Past-President Jerry Smith has confirmed his move to Arizona and will be leaving the end of this year. The club still needs to fill the position of Secretary on the board as quickly as possible! It is a paid position and Jerry has promised to be helpful in the transition before he leaves. Contact President-Elect Gary or President Melanie if you are interested, or if you have a suggestion of someone who might be a good candidate.
- Call to Order and Welcome! President Melanie welcomed members and guests to the Rotary Club of Stockton’s meeting and asked all to greet each other.
- Pledge of Allegiance & Four Way Test – Assistant Governor Bob Melrose.
- Song – Past-President Michael Blower honored his dad’s favorite team with “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.” Go Oakland A’s!
Thought for the Day – Babe Ruth gave the thought for the day. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.”
- Head Table – Our speaker Dr. Kuy Ky; Assistant Govner Bob Melrose, District Govner Jim Pierce, and President Melanie.
- Special Thanks Today to – Sergeant-At-Arms, John Salaices; Our photographer, Past-President Waqar Rizvi; Lynndee Riley & Eric Duran for all their work on the Wheel; and Mathew Grizzle for his work on Audio Visual.
- COG Club – Coordinator: Marcela Gracewski/ Farah Khwaja; Greeter: Jessica Ramirez; Mic 1: Rod Place; Mic 2: Humberto Beas; Credit Cards: Amir Khan; Raffle Tickets: Dwayne Garcia; Attendance: Gerardo Garcia and John Atwood on the cashbox.
- Proposed New Member – Kathy Hart has sponsored DeAnna Solina, Vice President of Human Resources at San Joaquin Delta College to be a member of the Rotary Club of Stockton. She has been a guest of Kathy’s at the club meetings on several occasions.
- Club Service & District Calendar for 2019-2020 – Click HERE for the latest list! Don’t miss out on some great activities.
- Raffle – Buster Posey, Klay Thompson, Matt Chapman will be the winning cards for President Melanie’s sports card collection raffle drawing. #312911 Dennis Cochran picked Judd Jennings which was the team of the day, but not one of the designated winning raffle cards.
Rotary House Clean-Up – President Melanie thanked Dennis Cochrane for organizing the Rotary House Clean-Up. Dennis thanked Ken Steele, Beto Beas, Rick Foy, Ken Steele, Bob Melrose, Dennis Barone, Brent Lesovsky, Ramona Vance and Doug Fong for their elbow grease! Click HERE to see photos.
- Dictionary Distribution – Still need volunteers to deliver again this year. Although Steve Luthy is retired, he will be taking a stay-cation for the next 10 days while hosting company. Nevertheless, you may contact him during the stay-cation to help get those dictionaries out of his garage. email@example.com
- Foundation Dinner – Linda Guinn announced they already have 1 table of 10 filled, but still taking sign-ups and would love to fill another!
- October Birthday Bash – October 1st marked birthdays for an all-time record 4 Rotarians – Past-President Kuy Ky, Past-President Bob Blower, Diane Stauffer and Hal Monroe. All four danced it out as stars of a Matt Grizzle Productions video ( click HERE for a really funny video!)
- 2020 District Conference – Don’t forget: The conference will be on April 22-24, 2020 at the Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite ( website ). The rooms will be $192 per day including taxes.
- Rotary International Convention – The convention will be from June 6th to June 10th of 2020 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Past-President Bob Blower reminds us all that the Rotary Convention is only 4 days. There are so many things to do on the islands, plan to stay for a couple of weeks!
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
- $250 – Liz Blanchard donated a bell ringer ($250) to honor the “fabulousness” that is the Ky family.
- $25 – Henry Wong’s watch needed $25 worth of attention.
- $25 – Diane Stauffer donated $25 for her birthday to the Rotarian Endowment.
- $100 – Hal Monroe to the SRE General Fund for his induction to the Century Club at the JC Penney Retired Managers Convention in Sacramento where Jill Soltau, CEO of JC Penney was lucky enough to get Hal to pose for a picture with her AND yesterday, Hal celebrated 90 years on planet Earth.
- $50 – Past-President Kuy Ky with a dollar per birthday year.
Speaker: Dr. Kuy Ky
Introduced By: Monie Ky
Monie Ky gave a beautiful introduction for Past-President, Husband Dr. Kuy Ky on the day after his 50th birthday. Kuy spoke about the dentistry program at St. Mary’s Dining Room where he volunteers weekly which is a joy to him and for the community.
Kuy emphasized how great the need is and how many wonderful volunteers work at the dentistry clinic. This work is so important it is to Kuy and the resource is vital to those with pain in their mouths. The clinic is open 7 days a week with 36 dentists volunteering on a rotating basis.
Kuy’s motto, “To keep your friends, brush. To keep your teeth, floss.”
Next Meeting: October 9, 2019
California Assembly member Susan Eggman, “Update 2019 Legislative Session”
Susan Talamantes Eggman (born March 3, 1961) is currently serving in the California State Assembly. A Democrat, she represents the 13th Assembly District. Prior to being elected to the Assembly in 2012, she was a Stockton City Councilmember and associate professor of social work at California State University, Sacramento. A leader with decades of experience in public service and community-building, Dr. Susan Talamantes Eggman was first elected in November 2012 to represent the 13th Assembly District, which draws together the San Joaquin Delta communities of Stockton, Tracy, Thornton and Mountain House. Susan has since been re-elected in 2014, 2016, and 2018.
Business and Professions
Utilities and Energy
Chair, Select Committee on End of Life Health Care
Joint Committee on Fairs Allocation and Classification
- 16 – TBD
- 23 – Allison Dumas, “1st Generation to Go To College. CIP, now 50 years!”
- 30 – Ann Chargin, “Arbitration”
- 06 – Ann Johnston, former Peace Corps Volunteer, “Reflections on the Conflict with Iran”
- 13 – Dustin Thoms, “Stockton Kings”
- 20 – Dan Cort, “New Projects Downtown”
- 27 – DARK (All Stockton Clubs Thanksgiving Meeting is on 11-26)
|Hal Monroe – Oct 1st
Kuy Ky – Oct 1st
Bob Blower – Oct 1st
Diane Stauffer – Oct 1st
Ramon Fernandez – Oct 3rd
|Liz Hull – Oct 6th
Dave Tygett – Oct 10th
Dennis Cochran – Oct 10th
Reid Johnson – Oct 18th
Farah Khwaja – Oct 19th
|Beto Beas – Oct 19th
Tom Patti – Oct 21st
Pete Rosado – Oct 24th
Zack Drivon – Oct 24th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Past-President Waqar Rizvi for photos this week; Mathew Grizzle, Audio Visual; and to Jerry Smith, Club Secretary and Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520