( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
A Really Important Announcement!
The club STILL needs to fill the position of Secretary on the board as quickly as possible! It is a paid position and Jerry has promised to be helpful in the transition before he leaves. Contact President-Elect Gary or President Melanie if you are interested, or if you have a suggestion of someone who might be a good candidate either you or the someone step up!
- Call to Order and Welcome! President Melanie welcomed members and guests to the Rotary Club of Stockton’s meeting and asked all to greet each other.
Pledge of Allegiance & Four Way Test – Past-President Bill Brown.
- Song – October 13th was the 244th anniversary of the United States Navy. Past-President Michael Blower marched us through “Anchors Away”.
Thought for the Day – Diane Stauffer made a heartfelt plea for our club to continue the dictionary project including anecdotal evidence and testimony to the value of this longstanding club project.
- Head Table – Our speaker Kari McNickle; Introducing the speaker, Brian Lafferty; Thought For the Day, Diane Stauffer and President Melanie.
- Special Thanks Today to – Sergeant-At-Arms, Ken Steele; Our photographer, Eric Duran; Lynndee Riley & Eric Duran for all their work on the Wheel; and Mathew Grizzle for his work on Audio Visual.
- COG Club – Coordinator: Farah Khwaja; Greeter: Khaksar Ahmed; Mic 1: Stephen Reid; Mic 2: Farah Khwaja; Credit Cards: Dwayne Garcia; Attendance: Humberto Beas and John Atwood at the cashbox.
- Proposed New Member – Geneva Bamidele is being sponsored by Jan Ambriz. Her classification will be Real Estate Sales. Geneva has been a guest at the Club on several occasions.
- Club Service & District Calendar for 2019-2020 – Click HERE for the latest list! Don’t miss out on some great activities.
- Raffle – Buster Posey, Klay Thompson, Matt Chapman will be the winning cards for President Melanie’s sports card collection raffle drawing. #058950 WINNER!! Eric Duran pulled the Matt Chapman card to collect over $400 for his share of the raffle pot!
Club Secretary Opening – President-Elect Gary Frush reiterated the need to fill the club secretary position and asked members to recommend someone they know that would be willing to take over when Jerry leaves.
Dictionary Distribution – County Supervisor Tom Patti announced that his office has been designated a “safe zone” from anyone living in fear. His heroic spider sense perked up when Tom received this cryptic message from President Melanie after updating her that he had received the information he had requested from Past-President Michael: “Oh, good! He beat me.”
- AAUW Home Tour – Diane Stauffer donated $25 to invite us all to the 68th Annual home Tour to benefit the AAUW Stockton Branch., Sunday, November 3, 2019, 10am to 4pm, Advance Tickets: $35 available at C.R. Porter, Regalo Bello and Sheri’s Sunshine Nutrition Center. $40 on the day of the event. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/68th-annual-aauw-home-tour-tickets-73016746053
- Foundation Dinner – President Melanie announced they already have 1 table of 10 filled, but still taking sign-ups and would love to fill another! November 16th @ 5:30 – 9:00pm, 1150 9th St Modesto CA 95354 ( map )
World Polio Day – President Malanie announced World Polio Day – October 24th: Happy Hour at Waterfront Plaza: Anyone donating at least $10 will get their pinky painted with purple fingernail polish. A group picture will be taken.
- 2020 District Conference – Don’t forget: The conference will be on April 24-26, 2020 at the Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite ( website ). The rooms will be $192 per day including taxes.
- Rotary International Convention – The convention will be from June 6th to June 10th of 2020 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Past-President Bob Blower reminds us all that the Rotary Convention is only 4 days. There are so many things to do on the islands, plan to stay for a couple of weeks!
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
- $2,000 – Past-President Kuy Ky passed on a thank you from daughter Megan for the $1,680 raised last week for her golf team. Kuy “rounded up” to donate 8 Bellringers to Rotary International – $2,000!
- $50 – Mark Berbower donated $25 to SRE for lagging on his promise to help get the dictionaries out of Steve Luthy’s garage and another $25 to “Read to Me – Stockton” because his children love getting their books every month.
- $25 – Liz Hull donated $25 for her 64th birthday on October 6th which she excitedly notes is only 364 days from Medicare eligibility.
- $25 – Diane Stauffer for her announcement about the ASUW Home Tour.
Speaker: Kari McNickle
Introduced By: Brian Lafferty
Brian Lafferty introduced speaker Kari McNickle, engineer and transportation planner for the firm Fehr & Peers. Kari specializes in active transportation, commuter issues, and community engagement. Kari is also the board chair of the San Joaquin Bicycle Coalition. https://www.sjbike.org/
Transportation planners try to make active transportation enjoyable and comfortable. Kari showed some of the treatments being implemented on streets to make them more attractive for active transportation.
Next Meeting: October 23, 2019
Allison Dumas, “1st Generation to Go To College. Community Involvement Program (CIP), now 50 years!”
Allison Dumas, Associate Vice President, Student Life, Student Involvement and Equity Dedicated Student Life Professional with thirty years of progressively responsible leadership, management, and team development with administration over grant-funded equity programs that support students’ academic and personal success, mentorship, and financial literacy. Expertise includes promoting higher education access in underserved communities, students’ community involvement and social change, student retention, student identity and leadership development.
Masters of Arts in Counseling Educational Psychology, University of the Pacific
Bachelors in Psychology, UC Davis.
- 30 – Ann Chargin, “Arbitration”
- 06 – Ann Johnston, former Peace Corps Volunteer, “Reflections on the Conflict with Iran”
- 13 – Dustin Thoms, “Stockton Kings”
- 20 – Dan Cort, “New Projects Downtown”
- 27 – DARK (All Stockton Clubs Thanksgiving Meeting held on 11-26 at the First Baptist Church map )
|Hal Monroe – Oct 1st
Kuy Ky – Oct 1st
Bob Blower – Oct 1st
Diane Stauffer – Oct 1st
Ramon Fernandez – Oct 3rd
|Liz Hull – Oct 6th
Dave Tygett – Oct 10th
Dennis Cochran – Oct 10th
Reid Johnson – Oct 18th
Farah Khwaja – Oct 19th
|Beto Beas – Oct 19th
Tom Patti – Oct 21st
Pete Rosado – Oct 24th
Zack Drivon – Oct 24th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Eric Duran for photos this week; Mathew Grizzle, Audio Visual; and to Jerry Smith, Club Secretary and Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520