“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
President Melanie broke the sad news that Past-President Jerry Smith will again attempt to flee California with plans this time for a move to Arizona.
President-Elect Gary Frush announced that with Past-President Jerry Smith’s eminent departure, the club needs to fill the position of Secretary on the board as quickly as possible. It is a paid position and Jerry has promised to be helpful in the transition. Contact President-Elect Gary or President Melanie if you are interested, or if you have a suggestion of someone who might be a good candidate.
- Call to Order and Welcome! President Melanie welcomed members and guests to the Rotary Club of Stockton’s meeting and asked all to greet each other.
- Pledge of Allegiance & Four Way Test – Kevin Kauffman
- Song – In an ongoing surge of patriotism, Past-President Michael Blower was feeling the song, “America”.
Thought for the Day – Ron Allison offered the thought that the values and structure of Scouting may offer a remedy to some of the problems he sees our society experiencing today. Ron reminded us that at the peak of Scouting, Rotary was very closely involved in the organization
- Head Table – Introducing our speaker, Dr. Joe Serra; our speaker Bob “Motorcycle Bob” Mutchler; Thought for the Day, Ron Allison, and President Melanie.
- Special Thanks Tonight to – Sergeant-At-Arms, John Salaices; Our photographer, Frank Whitney; Lynndee Riley & Eric Duran for all their work on the Wheel; and Mathew Grizzle for his work on Audio Visual.
- COG Club – Coordinator: Marcela Gracewski/ Farah Khwaja; Greeter: Keo Keonorasak; Mic 1: Basel Karabala; Mic 2: Khaksar Ahmad; Credit Cards: Rod Place; Raffle Tickets: Dwayne Garcia; Attendance: Mark Berbower and John cashbox.
- Proposed New Member – Kathy Hart has sponsored DeAnna Solina, Vice President of Human Resources at San Joaquin Delta College to be a member of the Rotary Club of Stockton. She has been a guest of Kathy’s at the club meetings on several occasions.
- Club Service & District Calendar for 2019-2020 – Click HERE for the latest list! Don’t miss out on some great activities.
- DONATION – Nick & Pam Curtin made a donation to SRE in memory of Gary Gillis. NOTE: the Rotary Club of Stockton now donates $50 to SRE on behalf of an active Rotarian passing. The 1st donation was made on behalf of Gary Gillis.
- Raffle – Buster Posey, Klay Thompson, Matt Chapman will be the winning cards for President Melanie’s sports card collection raffle drawing. #312853 Dan Wright pulled the Oakland Coliseum card and a trip to the consolation chest.
Education and Literacy Month September – Past-President Ann Johnston reported that “Read-to-Me Stockton” has sent out over 300,000 children’s books to children aged 0 to 5 in the city of Stockton. Rotary started this project and continues to lead the charge for this important literacy project.
RYLA Interviews – Kevin Kauffman continues to solicit club members to conduct RYLA interviews. Contact Kevin for more information on how you can help.
- Miracle Mile Car Show – Matt Grizzle announced there will be a car show on the Miracle Mile on Saturday, September 28, 2019, 3pm to 7pm. www.stocktonmiraclemile.com/carshow or call 209 623-1144 to register your car for the show! $25 to SRE! ( Flyer )
Dictionary Distribution – Steve Luthy thanked everyone who delivered dictionaries last year and solicited volunteers to deliver again this year. Although Steve is retired, he will be taking a stay-cation for the next 10 days while hosting company. Nevertheless, you may contact him during the stay-cation to help get those dictionaries out of his garage. email@example.com
- 2020 District Conference – Don’t forget: The conference will be on April 22-24, 2020 at the Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite ( website ). The rooms will be $192 per day including taxes.
Annual Kids in a Box Event – Laura Pinkerton thanked the volunteer drivers for the annual Kids in a Box event in Escalon last month. Jessica Garcia, Graham Tweedy , Brian Lafferty, and Laura Pinkerton provided transportation to Interactors. Brian Lafferty played “den father” overnighting in his upgraded box (a car). This event exposes the Interactors to the challenges faced by our marginalized populations.
- Rotary House Clean-Up – President Melanie announced the Rotary House at the county Hospital is having a clean-up day on Saturday September 28 at 9:00 until about noon. 2-3 members from each club are needed for the clean-up.
Mystery Bus Trip – There are 3 spots open for the bus trip. Past-President Michael reminded all travelers to bring some spending money and arrive before the 1:30pm wheels-on-the-road departure time. Cancellations for those on the list will only be accepted until this Friday, September 27th. After that date, you will be charged show or no show. Bus leaves at 1:30 from the Stockton Country Club: Saturday, October 5, 2019, returning by 8:30pm. Attire will be “dressy-casual”. This will be totally different than anything done before!
- Rotary International Convention – The convention will be from June 6th to June 10th of 2020 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Past-President Bob Blower reminds us all that the Rotary Convention is only 4 days. There are so many things to do on the islands, plan to stay for a couple of weeks!
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
Know Your Rotarian
“Know Your Rotarian” is a weekly feature Past-President Waqar started that President Melanie wants to continue in her Rotary year to better acquaint you with your fellow Rotarians.
Fubara Jack is the Sales Manager with Ray Morgan Company’s Stockton, Ca. location. He has been in the document technology industry for the past 20 years and currently manages his team to assist companies in improving how they manage documents within their organization.
Fubara graduated from California State University, Sacramento in 2002 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, with a concentration in Marketing. He also graduated from National University with a Degree in Master of Business Administration.
Fubara is married to Linda Bapetel-Jack and have 5 wonderful children ranging from 15 – 12 years old. Both Fubara & Linda are natives of Nigeria, but grew up in the East Bay region of Northern California. During his free time, Fubara enjoys workouts, playing sports, and coaching his children’s basketball and and soccer teams.
- $25 – Fred Weibel for his phone demanding attention during the meeting.
Past District Governor Joe Serra introduced Bob Mutchler, aka Motorcycle Bob. Bob has rolled into every capital in the U.S. and Canada to promote Polio Plus. Bob is also a piano tuner and plays in a rock-n-roll band.
Bob contracted polio virus when he was 9 months old and stayed in an iron lung until about the age of 4. At age of 35, he was diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome and was given a prognosis that he may be virtually immobile within a year. Bob’s response was to purchase a motorcycle and take a long ride. When he returned, he felt so much better, so he prescribed this ongoing treatment for himself. He currently has 1.3 million miles ridden at age 70. Bob has published a book called “From Iron Lung to Iron Butt” and the net proceeds all go to Polio Plus.
Next Meeting: October 2, 2019
Dr. Kuy Ky, “Dentistry at St. Mary’s Dental Clinic: A Joy! ”
My journey to the United States from Cambodia as refugee on September 7, 1979 was a saga that I wish no other fellow beings ever experience. It was harsh and cruel. I was 10 years old. Many of my countrymen had lost their lives, matter of fact, 1.8 million went to heaven. I am one lucky individual. My father said, son, I am willing to risk everyone’s life in search of freedom. By staying put, all of us will never have a good life.
Back in Cambodia as a little boy from 1975 to 1979, I was removed from my parents at age 7, along with my older brother,9, to join little men army. This is where the communist government brainwashed us to treat everyone in the village as just another person, so were your parents. Year Zero was the start of the Pol Pot regime; where all western influences, religion, doctors, teachers, etc were eliminated. My family was forced to settle in a rural area as peasant farm workers and to create instability the government moved us 4 times in 3 years. Many Cambodians lost their lives due to executions, starvation, diseases.
By 1979, the Vietcong regime had overthrown the Khmer Rouge, a relief, but not much. It was the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances of being alive. I ran through the jungle of a tropical rain forest without water and food to escape from HELL…..
Jim and Norma Pickett, along with Mr. and Mrs. Saukam Khoy were God sent; they were our precious sponsors in Houston, Texas.
My family moved to Stockton in August, 1980. This is home for the last 38 years.
I graduated from Stagg high school, Delta College, THE UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC with a B.S. degree. I went on to earned my dental degree from the University of Southern Cal in 1996 and returned home to Stockton after graduation. MY HEART IS HERE IN STOCKTON.
I am passionate about my family, dentistry, ROTARY (RYLA), my community.
- 09 – Susan Eggman, “Update 2019 Legislative Session”
- 16 – TBD
- 23 – Allison Dumas, “1st Generation to Go To College. CIP, now 50 years!”
- 30 – Ann Chargin, “Arbitration”
- 06 – Ann Johnston, former Peace Corps Volunteer, “Reflections on the Conflict with Iran”
- 13 – Dustin Thoms, “Stockton Kings”
- 20 – Dan Cort, “New Projects Downtown”
- 27 – DARK (All Stockton Clubs Thanksgiving Meeting is on 11-26)
|Hal Monroe – Oct 1st
Kuy Ky – Oct 1st
Bob Blower – Oct 1st
Diane Stauffer – Oct 1st
Ramon Fernandez – Oct 3rd
|Liz Hull – Oct 6th
Dave Tygett – Oct 10th
Dennis Cochran – Oct 10th
Reid Johnson – Oct 18th
Farah Khwaja – Oct 19th
|Beto Beas – Oct 19th
Tom Patti – Oct 21st
Pete Rosado – Oct 24th
Zack Drivon – Oct 24th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Frank Whitney for photos; Mathew Grizzle, Audio Visual; and to Jerry Smith, Club Secretary and Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520