( Click any image on this page to view a larger version )
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
- Call to Order and Welcome! President Waqar Rizvi welcomed members and guests to the evening Rotary Club of Stockton meeting and acknowledged the club for its 105 years of service to the community.
- Pledge of Allegiance & Four Way Test – Humberto (Beto) Beas.
- Song – Past-President Bob Blower.
- Thought For The Day – President Waqar mentioned that the Rotarian are always inspiring others in the community by their positive actions and read the following inspirational quotes:
- Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile by Connor Franta
- Everyday may not a good day but there is good in everyday by Alice Morse Earle
- Be the change that you wish to see in the world by Mahatma Gandhi
- Head Table – Humberto Beas and President Waqar Rizvi.
- COG Club – Coordinator: Linda Guinn. Greeter: Pricilla Hernandez; Credit card: Karyn Johnson; Mic1: Monie Ky; Attendance, Imran Javed. Sergeant At Arms Team: John Salaices (Coordinator); and Omar Khamisa (Lead).
- Birthdays This Week – Ralph Saroyan, 27th; and Chad Sublet, 30th.
- Acknowledgement – President Waqar acknowledged Dave Tygett for being at the meetings. President Waqar also acknowledged John Salaices for all the hard work that he does. He thanked John for coming a couple of hours before every meeting to setup and then staying late to breakdown as well.
- Club Service & District Calendar for 2018-2019 – Click HERE for the latest list! Don’t miss out on some great activities.
Cathy Wooton announced members must attend the June 12th meeting. The club members will be taking a vote on the dues. All members are kindly requested to attend this meeting as there needs to be quorum to vote.
International Convention – President Waqar asked President Elect Nominee Gary Frush about the International Convention that is going to be in Hawaii in 2020. Gary encouraged all the members to attend. As a matter of fact from June 1st to June 5th the registration cost is only $395 as an early bird special. https://www.riconvention.org/en/honolulu
Foundation Goal – Past President Kuy Ky said that we are really close to reaching the Foundation goal of $60,000 that President Waqar has set. There is still an opportunity for Paul Harris Matching Points. President Waqar acknowledged Kuy doing a match at the UOP meeting.
Key to the City – Kathy Hart was honored by Mayor Tubbs for her tenure as president of Delta college by presenting her the key to the city. Congratulations, Kathy!
- Coffee Needed for the Homeless Shelter –The Homeless Shelter of Stockton has run out of ground coffee and is collecting donations. President Waqar thanked the members who have donated already. Got any extra grounds or bucks? Help them out even more. Contact President Waqar to see how.
- Special Event on the Miracle Mile – Special event on the Miracle Mile, “Miracle Mile En Blanc”. Get those white clothes out of the closet and enjoy musical performances by Calli Grace & the Penetrators Groove Band, Photo Zone, raffle & Silent Auctions, International Foods Prepared by Miracle Mile Restaurants, Saturday, June 8th, 6pm to 10pm, $60, All White Dress, Tickets: MMEB2019.eventbrite.com Information: stocktonmiraclemile.com/mmeb2019
- Membership Update – Past President Terry Hull Sr. Terry encouraged everyone to bring in new members.
- New CEO of the YMCA – Dan Chapman has been named the new CEO. The “2019 Y Dads Matter” event on June 11th, 12pm – 1pm, Spanos Reserve will feature former NBA Rookie of the Year and Rookie All Star Damon Stoudamire, with opening remarks by Mayor Michael Tubbs. Attendance is Free, but guests will be asked to make a donation. RVSP to RGlissman@ymcasjc.org or here on Facebook.
- Advertise in the Wheel – You will have the opportunity to again advertise your business, hobby, profession or nonprofit in The Wheel this coming Rotary year which starts July 1st. These ads will take the format of a business card and will be approximately 2-1/2 by 1″. Cost will be $300 for a rotary year – a very reasonable cost to get your name in front of an elite group every week and make a contribution to our club at the same time. EXTRA! For $75 for the whole year we will link your ad to your website! Contact Graham Tweedy for more details. ( flyer )
- Volunteer as an Ombudsman – Sign-up to volunteer as an ombudsman at the San Joaquin County Booth at the State Fair which will be running from July 12-28, 2019! https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/2770155/false#/invitation
- Celebrate 30 years of Women in Rotary – Rotary District 5220 celebrates 30 years of Women in Rotary, Sunday, June 23, 2019, 2 pm – 4 pm, Roselle Winery, 9599 N. HWY 99, Stockton, Hors d’oeuvre and Beverages, $40, RSVP by June 1st: https://ismyrotaryclub.com/register/registerme.cfm?eventid=77425349
Pixie Woods Wine Tasting Fundraiser – Past President Bill Brown announced the 31st Pixie Woods Wine Tasting fundraiser, Friday, June 21st, 5pm – 8pm, $50 now, $60 at the door, tickets available at Gary Long Jewelers or Wine Wizards. https://www.visitstockton.org/events/annual-summer-sunset-wine-tasting-benefit-at-pixie-woods/
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
Know Your Rotarian
“Know Your Rotarian” is a weekly feature President Waqar is introducing to better acquaint you with your fellow Rotarians. This week:
John Salaices has been in the real estate industry for the past 30 years. John was a real estate appraiser for 10 years doing mass and fee appraisals, He’s also had his hands in fire and water, mold restoration for about 9 years. John has had his real estate license since 2007. John enjoyed doing these jobs for the last 30 years which gave him the opportunity to meet and work with hundreds of people. John is now working for Mission San Jose Mortgage as the office manager, which he feels has completed the circle in the real estate industry.
John has an impact in his office when it comes to leading his team, from the front desk, loan originators to ownership. John strives to make all experiences the best possible. When it comes to the clients. John believes expectations and communication is key. John’s belief is ‘’come from curiosity not judgement’’ in all things.
John is very passionate about working with others and now this gives him another chapter on helping others with one of the biggest investments in their lives. John’s passion in helping others not just in work, he’s joined Rotary of Stockton in 2017 and is the Sergeant at Arms. He is also the Chair of the Salvation Army Stockton Advisory Board. He is passionate about helping both the local community and international community.
Next Meeting: June 5, 2019
Nicholas Domingo, “Captain Encouragement School Assembly Program”
Topic/program – Captain Encouragement School Assembly Program
Nicholas Domingo – Founder/Co-Executive Director
Nicholas Domingo is a 28-year-old business strategist, entrepreneur, Motivational speaker and children’s book writer obsessed with making strides towards creating a better tomorrow. The thirst for knowledge, inspiration and a desire to connect with leaders and create the real-life justice league for shaping a better future continues to drive him day and night!
Captain Encouragement – The Captain Encouragement Program is a superhero-based youth program that teaches children about emotional literacy, anti-bullying, and leadership. Captain Encouragement offers a variety of individualized programs that are tailored to the specific needs of the community hosting the event.
Nicholas has been featured in the Rotarian Magazine and number of newspapers. He also has been interviewed by various TV channels with regards to his program. He regularly presents to different Rotary Clubs all over the nation.
He believes in changing the world one smile at a time!!
Before becoming Captain Encouragement, Nicholas was a professional kick boxer, a model and a tv actor.
Please click the following link to see a brief video:
- 12 – Waqar Rizvi, “Outgoing Board and Team Recognitions/Presentations”
- 19 – Mary Summerville, “Little Manilla research project or The evolution of Libraries in the age of technology”
- 26 – Evening Meeting – KICK OUT
- 03 – DARK – NO MEETING
- 10 – Janet Lucas, the UOP Athletic Director, “Coach/video on life as a collegiate student Athlete today, or Preparations for hosting the NCAA final for Waterpolo”
- 17 – TBD
- 24 – TBD
- 31 – TBD
|Doug Wilhoit – June 5th*
Dane Solberg – June 9th
Kris Blower – June 10th
Susan Drake – June 14th
|James Nance – June 15th
Joe Ambriz – June 15th
Rob Gross – June 17th
Kevin Kauffman – June 17th
|Amy Scriven – June 18th
Dale Drury – June 21st
Bill Hosie – June 25th
Ort Lofthus – June 29th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to President Waqar, notes; President Waqar and Past President Kuy Ky for photos; and to Jerry Smith, Club Secretary and Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 9520