|Past-President Michael Blower reports that club member Jamie Nance moved last week to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, one of the top 2 rehabilitation facilities in the state. In addition to the punctured lungs, Jamie had 11 broken ribs, 1 seriously broken leg and a severed T-10 vertebrae. Jamie will be using a wheelchair for now, but has a great attitude about adjusting to his new normal.
There will be a fundraiser to start a Foundation to support ongoing needs for the Nance family and eventually to support other families in the future who find themselves in similar circumstances. The fundraiser will be November 1, 2018, Stockton Ports, Steak & Oyster Dinner, $100.
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
NOTICE: From October 3rd, future Rotary Meetings will start at 12:15pm and end at 1:15pm
- Call to Order and Presidents Welcome! President Waqar welcomed members and guests to the Rotary Club of Stockton-104 years of Service Above Self Serving the Community and asked everyone to greet one another to enjoy the camaraderie of Rotary!
- Pledge of Allegiance & 4-Way Test – Peter Jalilie lead the Pledge of Allegiance and the Rotary 4-Way Test.
- Song – Songleader Raul Chavez made it a Pianist’s Choice Day and Marie Medford selected “Grand Ole Flag” for Song Leader Raul. We always sound better with music!
Thought For The Day – Steve Luthy, club Treasurer, pulled inspiration from an article in The Rotarian titled, “Put a Sock In It”. A complaint about complainers, the article especially notes the uselessness of complaining about things you have no control over – such as the weather or commodities pricing. Steve’s Mensa articles suggest telling friends and family members that they are allowed one complaint per day and no rollovers
- Head Table – Jeff Schafer, our guest speakers; Cathy Wooton, introducing the speaker; and President Waqar.
- COG Club – Chair: Linda Guinn; Greeter: Jose Gutierrez; Microphones: Kevin Redick & Russ Hagen; Attendance, Kevin Redick; Sergeant At Arms Ken Steele, Madisen Sena and Peter Jalilie. Lunch Ticket Sales: John Atwood & Mark Berbower, (credit cards) and Raffle Ticket Sales, Marcella Gracewski.
- Concern Reports – Past-President John Reusche gave an update on Gary Gillis who is doing well in his recovery from a stroke and is walking with a cane and able to negotiate stairs. Connect with Gary at firstname.lastname@example.org and get caught up.
- Proposed New Member – Dan Wright sponsored by Waqar Rizvi. Dan is a City Council Member, District 2 for the City of Stockton.
- Raffle – #057496 – You won’t see the 9 of Diamonds in the raffle deck because Past-President Don Barry nabbed it today. $50 to Polio Plus at the Rotary Foundation in Don’s name. Don’t forget: If you draw the winning card your share will be 1/2 of the current pot plus 1/2 of the take at the next meeting! Buy some raffle tickets! You could be the lucky Rotarian to win the pot!
- Club Service & District Calendar for 2017-2018 – Click HERE for the latest list! Don’t miss out on some great activities.
- 2nd Annual Patriot’s Ball – October 27th, $125 ( Link )
- Membership Minute – Past President John Reusche was delighted to talk about the joys and passions of Rotary service projects and the fun of going to any of the 130 countries, 30,000 clubs to enjoy fellowship at a Rotary meeting.
- Rotary Club Night – Next get together will be on Thursday, September 27th from 5:30pm to 7:30pm at the Harvest Home Animal Sanctuary, 14741 S. Wing Levee Road, Stockton 95206 ( map ).
John Reusche and Solargain, Inc – Past-President John Reusche announced that he may be coming to more than one meeting a year because of his new partnership with the Solargain, Inc. which will have him working in the valley more often. Full disclosure, Lynndee Riley’s brother is now President of Solargain, Inc. He and John are fellow Cal alumni and have been friends since high school. Go Bears.
John also announced that former club member Gayle Lease Riley has donated $100 to SRE in Reid Johnson’s name to commemorate his upcoming 50th year in the club and to remember her father, Pat Lease, who was a member of the club for 50 years.
Mystery Bus Trip – October 13th by Luis Durate, Michael Blower and TJ Hull. Luis Duarte announced that there is ONE SEAT LEFT for the bus trip, but get your name on the waiting list and just hope and pray that someone drops out. Luis says the list will change, so your chances are pretty good.
- Walk to End Alzheimers – Colleen Stewart invited us to participate in the Walk to End Alzheimers on October 13th.
- World Series Foundation Raffle – Past President Kuy Ky announced that the World Series Foundation Raffle will begin next week – $10 per square to win a Paul Harris Fellow.
- Heroes Park Work Party – Peter Jalilie will host a work party at Heroes Park to paint the Rotary Amphitheater at 8:30 am – 12:30 pm on Saturday, September 22, 2018, 8407 Kelley Dr., Stockton. VOLUNTEERS: are needed, especially you! We will be helping to spruce up Hero’s Park, and make some improvements to our play structure and amphitheater. Free lunch provided. Painting, spreading out tan bark, and maybe some light work in our Delta Kidz Hang-out.
- Stockton Sunrise Rotary Club Fundraiser – Rotary Pins and Our Community Wins, dress-up and bowl on Sunday, October 21st, 12noon to 3pm, Pacific Ave. Bowl.
- Fantasy Football – Contact Zack Downs right away to get one of the last few spots for Fantasy Football.
- Dinner With a Scientist – Omar Khamisa is recruiting volunteers for Dinner with a Scientist on Friday, November 13, 2018.
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
- 2019 District Conference – The 2019 District Conference will be held at the Monterey Hyatt on May 3-5, 2019. Conference Registration does not include lodging, so be sure to book your hotel room at the Hyatt for the low discount rate of $229 a night. A link to make the group reservations is on the form.
The District Foundation Dinner Celebration will be here before you know it! November 10th at the beautiful Stockton Golf and Country Club.
We are fortunate to have Brenda Cressey, Rotary International Foundation Trustee as the keynote speaker.
Register by September 30th to take advantage of the early bird specials. You can use the attached form to register or registser online on the DaCdb calendar with check or credit card.
All forms and flyers can be found on the District website www.rotary5220.org under the Foundation tab. For questions contact Dinner Chair Liz Hosmer on email@example.com or Silent Auction Chair Rebecca Ciszek on firstname.lastname@example.org .
- $25 – Past-President John Reusche’s new parternership announcement.
Cathy Wooton introduced Jeff Schafer, assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of the Pacific. Jeff gave us the #1,2 & 3 most important ways to secure our data – use a unique password for each and everything and do not re-use passwords.
If you are curious about whether you have been compromised, Troy Hunt can tell you. Go to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and find out. Also, secure your credit by locking your credit report – now a free service
Next Meeting: September 26, 2018
Dave Gallagher, “All Aboard! Volunteering at the California State Railroad Museum”
David Gallagher has been a member of Modesto Sunrise Rotary since 1987 and served as their President in 1997-98. He had the honor of serving as the Centennial District Governor for District 5220 during the 2004-2005 Rotary centennial year.
David has served as chair of 11 different District committees, and was the District Rotary Foundation Chair from 2009-2012. He has served as a delegate to the Council of Legislation in 2010 and has been an instructor of incoming club Presidents at PETS for many years. He is a Major Donor and a member of the Paul Harris Society. David was awarded the Service Above Self Award from Rotary International in 2002 and the Citation for Meritorious Service Award from the Rotary Foundation in 2015. He serves as a member of the Cadre of Technical Advisors to The Rotary Foundation. .
His main area of interest is international service. He has been the lead Rotarian on 26 grants with The Rotary Foundation in 11 different countries, including a large 3H Grant at Caminul Felix, a home for orphaned and abandoned children in Romania. He has traveled to be a part of 89 international humanitarian trips.
David is a retired Optometrist. He and his wife Diane have 3 daughters and 5 grandchildren.
- 03 – TBA
- 10 – Colleen Stewart, The Real “All-Americans” (Alternate Meeting Location: Brookside Country Club)
- 17 – Paula Sheil, “The Importance of Cursive”
- 24 – Dr. Joe Serra, “World Polio Day”
- 31 – Kurt Wilson Stockton City Manager, “City of Stockton Office of Violence Prevention”
- 07 – Steve Colangelo, “New Vision for the SJ County Fairgrounds”
- 14 – Khurram Durrani, M.D., Medical Director of San Joaquin Co. Behavioral Health Services, “Suicide Prevention”
- 21 – DARK – 45th Annual Rotary Clubs of Stockton All City Thanksgiving Luncheon.
- 28 – Bob Gutierrez, “2018 General Election Post-mortem report”
|Paul Kozlow – Sept 1st
Tim Schwartz – Sept 3rd
Steve Luthy – Sept 6th
Shannon Ding – Sept 6th
Raul Chavez – Sept 10th
Derron Lee – Sept 10th
|John Reusche – Sept 10th
Mark Jones – Sept 13th
Ken Miselis – Sept 17th
Jim Dyke – Sept 18th
Susanne Huebel – Sept 21st
John Salaices – Sept 23rd
|Priscilla Hernandez – Sept 24th
Jim Anthony – Sept 26th*
Pat Patmon – Sept 26th*
Jerry Smith – Sept 27th
Ann Johnston – Sept 29th
Don Barry – Sept 29th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Frank Whitney, photos; Madisen Sena, Audio Visual, and Jerry Smith, Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Rotary International President
District 5220 Governor
Stockton Rotary Club President
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 95204