|Raul Chavez (far right) with President Waqar introduced new member, Marcela Gracewski. Marcela graduated from Sacramento State and after hitting the glass ceiling for women at a logistics company, started her own logistics firm. Marcela loves sales and is very proud of the growth of her company in the past 8 years. Now Marcela is excited to begin giving back to the community. Marcela enjoys a husband, a 4 year old daughter and a 3 year old son.
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
- The Annual Stockton Rotary Fundraiser Event – The Hot Hula Hukilau, will be in 3 WEEKS – Saturday, September 8, 2018, at the University Plaza Waterfront Hotel. Everyone needs to make reservations now for the fundraiser NOW. The Hukilau committee says it is time to get your sponsorships, raffle donations, wine bottle donations and event tickets in so the event can run smoothly. Contact event chair Corie Stewart for more information about how you can help with this great event! ( Flyer )
- 2019 District Conference – The 2019 District Conference will be held at the Monterey Hyatt on May 3-5, 2019. Conference Registration does not include lodging, so be sure to book your hotel room at the Hyatt for the low discount rate of $229 a night. A link to make the group reservations is on the form.
Fantasy Football – Zack Downs waived around the Fantasy Football Trophy to whet the competitive appetites of the armchair quarterbacks in the club. Zack says anyone can play and it will cause you to be interested in every game of the season – not just the ones your team is playing. Are you ready for some football?
- Membership Minute – Zach Downs joined Rotary about a year ago after visiting the club meetings a few times and feeling the energy from the members in the club who want to serve the community and after seeing the support our club give to worthy charities
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
Stockton Kings Season Tickets!
We have a limited number of season tickets on reserve, and if we sell them the Kings will include a Rotary night and discounts for all the schools we work with–that’s all of Edison High and Spanos Elementary!
Special Announcement #2
Stockton Rotary Endowment and The Rotary Club of Stockton
Charity Allocations Advertisement
The Stockton Rotary Endowment Fund (SRE) and the Rotary Club of Stockton are soliciting requests for funds for the projects of charitable organizations operating in San Joaquin County. There are various funds within SRE that have specific requirements related to funding amount and approval. For applications and complete explanations as to the funding process, specific fund requirements, amounts available, etc., go to Rotary Club of Stockton’s website at stocktonrotary.org., or by mail to:
Peter Gormsen, Charity Allocations Committee
Chairman, 1401 N, Hunter Street, Stockton, Ca 95202.
Deadline for applications
is August 31, 2018.
- $25 – President Waqar – for loosing the gavel.
Speaker: James Mousalimas
Subject: “STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Education”
Introduced By: President Waqar
President Waqar introduced James Mousalimas, County Superintendent of Schools for San Joaquin County who gave an introduction to some of the innovative programs presented in detail by Kirk Brown, Director of STEM Programs and Johnny Arguelles, Director of the Center for Educational Development. Did you know that the office of education has a self-supporting department with 70 programmers developing applications used all over California and nationwide? If you’ve ever applied for a job through EDJOIN which is used by virtually every school in California, you have used software written here in Stockton by these programmers. Now, that department will use the training program it uses in-house for new recruits to train and develop programming talent to fill the growing need in the job market.
Next Meeting: August 22, 2018
Judy Lovett, District Govenor
- 29 – Judy Lovett, District Govenor
- 05 – Elbert Holman
- 12 – TBD
- 19 – TBD
- 26 – Dave Gallagher, “All Aboard! Volunteering at the California State Railroad Museum”
|Dr. Joe Serra – August 4th
Linda Guinn – August 5th
Vic Wykoff – August 6th
Angel Sepulveda – August 8th*
|Zach Downs – August 8th*
Beve McCarthy – August 10th
Sally Fandrich – August 25th
John LaRue – August 26th
|Louis Lemos – August 27th
Clare Simpson – August 28th
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Raul Chavez, photos; Madisen Sena, Audio Visual; and Jerry Smith, Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Rotary International President
District 5220 Governor
Stockton Rotary Club President
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 95204