|Past President Ann Johnston (Queen Ann) opened the meeting and presided over the coronation of King Waqar (incoming President Waqar Rizvi) with his new badge as he takes over leading the club in his first official meeting of the 2018-2019 Rotary year! President Waqar thanked his family and friends for making him feel like royalty every day.
“The Rotary Club of Stockton Begins the 2nd Century of Service to the Stockton Community”
- Call to Order and Welcome! President Waqar, in his first official act, welcomed members and guests and asked everyone to greet one another to enjoy the camaraderie of Rotary!
- Pledge of Allegiance & 4-Way Test – Judy Chambers lead the Pledge of Allegiance and the Rotary 4-Way Test.
- Song – Past-President (not the new song leader) Michael Blower kicked off the new Rotary year with the National Anthem.
Thought For The Day – Past-President Jim Anthony went back to the future (1993-94) for encouraging President Waqar that when the President has fun, we all have fun. Just be organized and relaxed and get as many Rotarians involved in the meeting as possible: “True humor is fun – does not put down or mock. It makes people feel wonderful, not separate, different or cut off. True humor has beneath it the understanding that we are all in this together.” — Hugh Prather
- Head Table – President Qaqar’s wife, Maria Rizvi, Judy Chambers, Past-President Ann Johnston and President Waqar.
- COG Club – Chair: Linda Guinn; Greeter: Russel Hagen; Microphones: Sharon Ding & Chris Lema; Attendance, John Atwood & ??; Sergeant At Arms Ken Steele, John Salaices, Madisen Sena and Omar Khamisa. Lunch Ticket Sales: John Atwood & John Salaices (credit cards) and Raffle Ticket Sales, Doug Hanson.
- Birthdays This Week Month – Luis Duarte, Gary Frush, TJ Hull, Michael Blower. (see below for details of the recognitions).
- Raffle – This Rotary year, President Waqar elected to use a deck of Superhero playing cards for the ticket winner to draw from and if they pull the Captain America Ace of Hearts, they will win the pot! The first meeting saw the winning ticket #057051 belonging to guest J.D. Watt but J.D. pulled the 8 of Hearts. Close… Don’t forget: If you draw the winning card your share will be 1/2 of the current pot plus 1/2 of the take at the next meeting! Buy some raffle tickets! You could be the lucky Rotarian to win the pot!
- New Rotary Club in Town – The Rotary Club of Central Stockton has just been added to the many clubs now in Stockton. More on this new club to follow.
- Advertise in the Wheel – Past-President Graham Tweedy: You will have the opportunity to again advertise your business, hobby, profession or nonprofit in The Wheel this coming Rotary year which starts July 1st. These ads will take the format of a business card and will be approximately 2-1/2″ by 1″. Cost will be $300 for a rotary year – a very reasonable cost to get your name in front of an elite group every week and make a contribution to our club at the same time. And if you want even more exposure, an extra $75 will get you a link to your website (providing you have a website, that is…).
- 2019 District Conference – The 2019 District Conference will be held at the Monterey Hyatt on May 3-5, 2019. If you register online or send in the form by Monday May 20th, you can take advantage of the total registration fee of only $290! Conference Registration does not include lodging, so be sure to book your hotel room at the Hyatt for the low discount rate of $229 a night. A link to make the group reservations is on the form.
- August 10th All-City Rotary Peace Day – President Waqar sweetened the pot for the August 10th All-City Rotary Peace Day at the ballpark. In addition to the t-shirt and opportunity to be in the giant peace sign on the field, you will get a HOT DOG before the game! $250 sponsorships are available to be a sponsor on the t-shirt. Contact Waqar.
- Annual Rotary Fundraiser DATE – The Annual Rotary Fundraiser Event will be – Saturday, September 8, 2018, at the University Plaza Waterfront Hotel. Keep those grass skirts and loud shirts handy because it will be another Hot Hukilau!
- Use That Credit Card at The Meeting – You may now pay for lunch, raffle tickets (minimum Credit Card Purchase of $5.00) and other purchase at the Club meetings with a credit Card.
- Potential Members – To encourage Club members to bring a potential member to the Wednesday meetings the Rotary Club of Stockton will pay for the 1st meal of a potential member brought by a Club member.
- $50 – Luis Duarte
- $50 – Gary Frush
- $50 – Liz Hull paid $50 for TJ Hull because she and Terry took their new RV on location (not vacation – they still went to work each day) to the end of the street at Marina Point RV. This was apparently too far away for TJ Hull to come celebrate his birthday with them (for shame!)
- $50 – Past-President Michael celebrated 50 years.
- $90 – Cathy Wooten paid $90 for a trip to Alaska to celebrate her father’s 90th birthday.
- $100 – Blain Bibb – for a 10-day vacation to Cabo.
- $50 – The Blower Clan journeyed by ship to Alaska. Past-President Bob sampled 50 glasses of wine.
- $250 – Past-President Kuy Ky kicked off his year as Foundation Chair by donating $250 in celebration of Canadians. During Kuy’s visit to Vancouver, he discovered that Past-President Graham and Past-President Susan are not the only lovely Canuck’s in the world.
- $250 – Ken Steele’s plumber and physician both belong to Stockton Rotary and he has recently celebrated his 48th wedding anniversary to lovely wife, Rita. All played a role in his suspenseful tale about the day last week when he began drinking the potion to prepare for a next day visit for a procedure at the physician. All was well until Rita came in to inform him that she had just backed into the water heater and had to shut the water off to the house. Luckily, the plumber, our own Raul Chavez of R.C. Plumbing, responded ASAP to Ken’s impending emergency.
- $250 – President Waqar for his Wedding Anniversary to Maria.
Stockton Kings Season Tickets!
We have a limited number of season tickets on reserve, and if we sell them the Kings will include a Rotary night and discounts for all the schools we work with–that’s all of Edison High and Spanos Elementary!
Introduction of the Board of Directors and support team
- Membership: Terry Hull Sr. What are Past-President Terry’s qualifications for membership chair? Well, he’s been a Rotarian for 44 years in small, medium and large clubs and this is his 4th stint as Program Chair. Food for Thought/Action: If each current member brings one new member into the club this year, we will be membership healthy again.
- Foundation Service: Kuy Ky President Waqar’s Foundation Goal is $65k, but Past-President Kuy wants to beat the record from his year of $85K!
- Vocational Service: Omar Khamisa Job Shadowing, First Responder Awards and Vocational Talks.
- Youth Service: Sharon Tweedy RYLA Camps, Interact Clubs at Spanos Elementary, Edison High School and a volunteer is needed to lead the Chavez High School Interact Club.
- Community Service: Collen Stewart Rotary Read-In, Salvation Army Bell Ringing and Read-to-Me Stockton.
- Club Service: Cathy Wooten O.G. Club and Fellowship Functions – emphasis on adding new family-fun events.
- International Service: Ken Steele Calling all international traveling vagabonds – join in to assist with the many international club projects – Polio Immunization in Pakistan, Breast Cancer Screening in Mexicali, Girls’ Restrooms for schools in India, Sanitation Project in the Philippines, Women’s Center in Uganda.
- Wheel Editor: Eric Duran Feel free to e-mail your announcements in advance or give a hardcopy to Lynndee at the meeting for most accurate reporting and always do your hair or shine your head for the most beautiful pictures! Coming Soon: An all new, cool and Gen Z-approved Rotary Website!
- Program Chair: Shannon Ding Send in your program suggestions and let Shannon know if you are willing to be an on-call back-up speaker.
Next Meeting: July 18, 2018
Adam Cheshire, “Homeless Initiative”
- 25 – James Nance, “Stockton Police Department Drone Program”
|T.J. Hull, Jr. – July 1st
Michael Blower – July 1st
George Badway – July 2nd
Linda Philipp – July 2nd
Christine Noguera – July 4th*
Brian Lafferty – July 5th
|Lynndee Riley – July 6th
Renna Beinoris – July 13th
Luis Duarte – July 23rd
Peter Jaffe – July 25th*
Kevin Redick – July 25th*
Eric Duran – July 28th
|Steve Morales – July 28th
Gary Frush – July 29th
Jeff Greenberg – July 30th
Marc Bregman – July 31st
|* = Meeting Day – Wish them a Happy Birthday!|
Special thank you to everyone who contributed to The Wheel…
Editor, Eric Duran. Special thanks this week to Lynndee Riley, Assistant Editor and note taker extraordinaire; Eric Duran, photos; and Jerry Smith, Chief Checker!
Attn: Jerry Smith, Club Secretary
1024 W. Robinhood Dr. Suite 5
P.O. Box 7457
Stockton CA 95267
Phone: (209) 472-9662
Fax: (209) 472-9664
Rotary International President
District 5220 Governor
Stockton Rotary Club President
Wednesdays at 12 Noon
Stockton Golf & Country Club
3800 W. Country Club Blvd.
Stockton, CA 95204